Tuesday, March 4, 2008

I got into Ravelry!

Finally, I got into Ravelry today! Woohoo! I heard so many wonderful things about this online community of knitters and hookers that I just had to join. It took probably over a month for me to get my invitation. Apparently, it's National Crochet Month this month. No wonder I was a March baby! :-)

In other crochet news, I started working on a hat last night with my new Bernat Softee Chunky that I picked up on Sunday. If you look closely at my previous bookshelf picture, you can see it on the top shelf. (It was only $1.87 per ball at Wal-Mart.) Even though I haven't bought yarn at Wal-Mart in years, I couldn't pass it up since I could never find Softee Chunky at Michael's. For an acrylic yarn, it feels surprisingly soft. Also, it's really bulky. I am used to working with worsted weight yarns so the bulkiness felt a bit awkward to me initially.

Update at 10:10 pm: Finished the Ribbed Newsboy Hat. Since I didn't print out the last two rows of the pattern, (and the pattern has been pulled off the author's website), I changed the brim to make it wider and more tapered than the original. I found my inspiration in Hip Hats and Cool Caps by Afya Ibomu. Although I didn't find any hats in there that I was dying to make, she did have some really good brim instructions. Here are some pictures of my finished hat!

Sitting by itself. I took the picture before I shaped the brim. Brim looks much better now.

A side view of the hat.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Awesome hat! Love that scalloped scarve too. :-)