Friday, April 3, 2009

Eyecandy and Shopping

Spring is my favorite season of the year. There is something comforting about the long winter days becoming lighter earlier and the weather easing up and becoming warmer, yet not too hot. It is also my favorite season for knitting. Well, either that or fall. I can't deny my love for wool sweaters. f only I had more hands and time!

As I was stalking the daily Elann.com specials the other day, I came across an European knitting magazine called Verena Knitting. I don't know too much about mags other than Interweave Knits, Vogue Knitting, and the other usuals you would regularly find at your grocery store. These are the two patterns that caught my eye.


The thing I like most about knitting other than the decadent joy of running beautiful yarn through my fingers is the fact that you create a garment that is unique and that you can't find in stores anywhere. You'll rarely ever run into somebody wearing the same thing as you (unless you go to a yarn convention or LYS). If you know me, I take this approach with me when I go to the mall. "Hand-knit looking" is what my eyes automatically scan for while browsing the racks. And springtime unfortunately is when I tend to do the most damage at the mall.

Ever since I discovered my favorite sweater ever at Macy's, a beige INC number that bears a striking resemblance to Printed Silk Cardigan from Interweave Knits Spring 2008, I keep going back to Macy's looking for more. But, alas, that is probably the closest unique sweater I'll ever find. So I went to Macy's last week absently browsing the racks when a certain magenta sweater caught my eye on the rack. The cables reminded me of Tangled Yoke Cardigan, and I decided to try it on. Luckily, it was just my size and fit me perfectly. Even better, this $80 sweater was on clearance for $20, and armed with a coupon, the total price went down to $17! True, I rarely ever wear magenta, but it was a nice shade of magenta, nothing too horrifying. And $17 for a sweater that is made mostly of silk and angora? I say, bring it on! :-D

Afterwards, I bought a green, v-neck cardigan at H&M. It was another good deal at $20, and I was so bummed that they didn't have the bright orange version in stock in my size. Yet, there were 4 XS's left. Figures. I was really surprised by the amount of cute, work-appropriate and affordable clothes they had at H&M. Last time I went was to a H&M in San Francisco a year ago, and my impression was that all the clothes seemed to be black-colored and somber looking.

But not to worry, it looks like I will be going to the mall again tomorrow...*hangs head in shame*.

1 comment:

Philigry said...

oh, i love these two knits. especially the second one! sounds like you found some great deals on sweaters too.