Friday, February 20, 2009

Casting on for Backward Cabled Pullover


After many false starts (I counted at least 8) due to not knowing how to do short rows, I have finally got going on the Backward Cabled Pullover from Custom Knits. I'm glad I learned a new skill though although those short rows were making me very frustrated for a while.
This was the pattern that made me decide to purchase Custom Knits. However, I'll be making the alternate version they show in the book with the scoop in the front. I guess it'll be like Opulent Raglan. I'm using Karabella Margrite (3 balls which were graciously gifted upon me by my cousin during Christmas) and I have bought 2 more balls. I get the feeling I'll have to buy another ball for the sleeves so I'm a bit wary that this sweater will be made from yarn from 3 different dye lots. Oh well, hopefully it won't be too noticeable.

Here's what I have so far...



* Don't they look luscious and plump?


* Slowly growing

The yarn is supposed to be worsted weight, but it appears to be more along the lines of DK. It looks pretty thin to me but it's still so soft and luxurious. This is the first time I've used the actual yarn suggested for a pattern. (Not counting Brown Sheep Cotton Fleece.) :-)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely yarn! Good for you for perservering. I had a similar situation going on with a sock but alas, the yarn is back in a ball.

Jasmine's Mommy said...

This is so funny but I had just recently purchased this book! I love the lettuce coat and the many designs from the book! Can't wait to see your backward cabled pullover. It's one that I've considered making too! (I'm too scared to try cables)

Julia said...

Thanks for your comments on my sweater (crispynoodle's) on my blog. I only just noticed your question about sizing....from ravelry it looks like you're doing pretty well on yours!

My yarn was also dk weight. My bust is also 34". My gauge changed from 4.5 - 5 sts per inch throughout the sweater. When I finished it, it was probably about 33 inches across the chest. I like negative ease on a sweater so I was okay with it being on the smaller side. Now that I've worn the sweater a lot, it has stretched out a bit. I just measured it, and the chest came in at 34".
Have fun with your project!