Thursday, October 2, 2008

Casting on for Notting Hill Vest...

Last year, when I started seriously taking up crochet again and whipping out warm hats for my parents, my dad asked for a vest. I told him I wasn't advanced enough at that time to attempt a vest, but now a year later, I think I'm up to the task.

Which is why I casted on for Notting Hill from the Fall 2007 Knitscene two nights ago. This pattern was available a while back on the Knitting Pattern Central website, but it has been pulled off the web since. I was making pretty good progress on it last night when I noticed the right side was looking a bit wrong. After staring at it for a while, it dawned on me that I had forgotten to cross a couple of the cables! Grr. What a dumb mistake! I skipped breakfast this morning before work so that I could carefully frog, and hopefully start going again tonight. And I rarely ever skip breakfast. (Can you tell that I am totally obsessed with knitting? Sigh. This is a disease, I tell you!)

If all goes well, it should look somewhat like this...



Here is what I have so far...



I am a bit scared because after reaching Row 30, the pattern states that it should be 12.5" above the rib. I was coming out at 8 inches, and that was including the rib!!! On Ravelry, I've heard that this pattern has mistakes and I'm not sure if this is a mistake or if my gauge is totally off. I made a swatch and got gauge, but I'm always paranoid that my real gauge will change once I start knitting the actual project. I think I'll remedy it by adding another repeat of 10 rows to the right length, and then start binding off for the armholes. Also, I don't know my dad's exact bust size so I'm winging it and hoping he can fit into a 44" (size Large). This is also my first project that is knit into pieces and then sewn together. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Philigry said...

this is going to be amazing! does ravelry have a place where the erreta is published? it usually does....
i can't wait to see how this turns out!