Tuesday, October 21, 2008

FO: Gretel


After admiring countless Gretels online, I have finally made my first one. And yes, there will be many more to come. The pattern is beautiful, clear, and very easy to understand. The only thing that stumped me was the tubular cast-on which took me a while to grasp. However, I didn't realize that Ysolda had a pictorial for tubular cast-on on her website, so I will try to use that next time. I ended up using a different tutorial that left me skeptical as to whether it really was a tubular cast-on, or plain 1 x 1 cabling. My Knitting Answer Book clearly explained the 1 x 1 rib tubular cast-on, but there were no specifics on how to convert for 2 x 2 rib.







Pattern: Gretel by Ysolda Teague
Yarn: Patons Classic Merino Wool in Cognac Heather
Amount: 1 ball
Needles: US 5 and 7
Size: Regular
Mods: My cast-on was too loose so I added a round of crochet slip stitches to tighten the brim up
This particular hat will go towards my mom. I plan to make more for her, and as Christmas gifts for other people. It's funny I find it so satisfying to make hats for others, but I don't own even one for myself. Wait, scratch that. I do have one hat - the last lacy beret I made that came out a bit too big. It's beautiful but it doesn't fit me well enough for me to love it.
Footnote: And those are my new glasses! First glasses that I've had since I was 8 that did not have round and/or pink frames! :-)

6 comments:

Sway Knits said...

That is a super cute hat! Good job!

Philigry said...

i love this hat! beautiful! i am jealous!

Tcknit said...

Ooh!! Love this hat, so cute on you!!

Unknown said...

Gretel is one of my favorite hats, though, I too gave mine away...nice glasses too. They look great on you!

Anonymous said...

Absolutely lovely! Now, if you can knit that hat and the sweater, I'm sure you can knit a sock!

Jasmine's Mommy said...

Oh my gosh, we are so much alike! I've been wanting to make a hat but reluctant because of my lush and lacy. This was one of the 2 hat pattern I've been eyeing. (The other is the urchin).
Great job on this hat. I want to start one now!!!!