Thursday, December 11, 2008

FO: Gretel #2



Pattern: Gretel by Ysolda Teague
Yarn: Berroco Ultra Alpaca in Camel Hair
Amount: 1 ball
Needles: US 5 and 7
Size: Regular

Mods: None

This hat is a Christmas present for my boyfriend's mother. I thought it would be nice to make her a hat with alpaca content, especially since she drove us to an alpaca farm when I was visiting them in Washington in September. (Which reminds me, I still need to put up my Washington pictures! Sigh.) I love this pattern. It is the 2nd Gretel that I have made and I even managed to master tubular cast-on! Yay! I'm not sure how big her head is, but when I tried it on after finishing it, it came out too small on me. So I washed again and this time, I blocked it around a plate that was about 11" in diameter. Now it's a perfect fit (hopefully for her too)!

I love the smooshiness of the Ultra Alpaca, and the way it looks slightly hairy to give it a soft, muted look. This is definitely my most favorite yarn yet. :-)

2 comments:

chookie said...

how is the alpaca as a headpiece? i worry that it might be itchy?

Anonymous said...

The hat is really lovely. I'm sure your bf's mother will treasure it always.